Child and Family Specialist
Are you looking for a position that allows you the opportunity to work with children and families? Are you seeking a state-of-the-art benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life, 13 vacation days, 13 holidays, 12 sick days, 3 personal days, a 401k with generous employer contribution and match AND much more!! If so, look no further than CSA!
CHILD AND FAMILY SPECIALIST
Under the direction of the Child and Family Engagement Coordinator, provides quality, comprehensive child/family development services, health services, social services and parent engagement services to Head Start and Early Head Start families.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Effectively completes family assessments to determine eligibility and/or develop an action plan to remove barriers to children’s success in school;
2. Visits children’s homes to enroll students in program, interview parents, inform parents of school and/or community resources, and to set family goals;
3. Ensures that full enrollment is obtained and maintained through working collaboratively with the Enrollment Certification Specialist and the Enrollment Committee to recruit, select and enroll eligible children and to encourage family involvement;
4. Actively participates in the classroom with daily, individual and group activities using effective prepared lesson plans that enhance the child’s educational development;
5. Assists parents in a variety of areas (e.g. health, nutrition, living skills, job skills, goal setting, filling out forms, etc.) to develop an action plan to support the family in basic life skills and economic stability;
6. Develops relationships and partnerships with community leaders, organizations and the communities to ensure effective collaborations are in place to meet the needs of the families;
7. Provides families with resources related to housing, transportation and clothing; provides social service emergency assistance and crisis intervention when necessary;
8. Performs social, emotional, and behavioral observations on the children and provides support for them in the classroom; conducts social and emotional screening on children within 45 days of entry into program;
9. Shares with the Teacher the responsibility of meeting the goals of children with Individualized Education Plans (I.E.P.s), including attending and actively participating in all I.E.P. meetings;
10. Reports suspected incidents (e.g. physical, sexual, substance abuse, contagious diseases, etc.) to appropriate parties to maintain the personal health and safety of the child;
11. Attends team meetings with classroom staff, mental health and disability consultants, and Head Start management team members; participates in workshops, trainings, community events, etc.;
12. Develops and implements specific behavioral interventions that address the individual needs of specific children;
13. Maintains up-to-date case notes and documents one-on-one work with students, family meetings, referrals, and any additional services as needed; enters data into various data systems or programs;
14. Acts as a liaison at monthly parent center meetings;
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
· Knowledge of childhood development services;
· Effective interpersonal and oral communication skills;
· Capacity and empathy to work with a diverse population, low income families and children, including those with disabilities;
· Ability to travel to Program and home sites;
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office and data entry applications.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Human Development and Family Studies, Early Childhood Education or a degree that includes six Early Childhood Education classes and one year related experience in a pre-school teaching environment.
*Per the Biden administration, all Head Start employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemption requests are subject to the approval of the CEO.
CSA is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Generous paid time off
- 13 Holidays
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance